Sunday, July 14, 2013

Nails - Polka Dots!


Yesterday, while playing games, a few of us had a nail interlude. Translation, while others were learning games, four of us decided to do our nails. When my friend Pam started using a tooth pick to make polka dots on her nails I said "Oh wait, I have a tool for that." I immediately pulled out my dotting tool and she proceeded to experiment with the new tool.

My hands were too shaky yesterday to do my own dots so Pam did them for me. Here's the interesting part, for her dots, Pam chose a China Glaze "Secret Peri-wink-le" over Cover Girl Outlast "Violet".

Now, I have a few problems with China Glaze. While they have some of the best colors out there, vibrant and seasonal offerings that are often very hard to resist, the nail polish is often too thin or too thick. Without fail, EVERY time I paint my nails with just China Glaze colors, they are chipped and need a re-do by the next day. So, aside from a few exceptions, I only use China Glaze on my toes where, surprisingly, the colors and nail polish shine, I've had China Glaze's "Towel Boy Toy" on my toes for two weeks with nary a chip, go figure.

But I digress, when Pam used the China Glaze on her fingers for the dots it was perfect, it went on smoothly, piling up into nice even little raised dots without her having to heap it onto the tool. It also dried very quickly and didn't run at all when she painted on a top coat. It was so good that we didn't even think about it when we moved onto my nails. I used two Essie colors; "Naughty Nautical" over "Lapis of Luxury".


Essie's nice thick consistency, a feature that often makes it a favorite for longer term wear, was a detractor when using it for dots. We really had to pile the polish onto the tool, and even then it was sticky and reticent to drop onto the nail cleanly. What I learned from this experience is that my awesome vibrant China Glaze nail colors aren't just good for my toes, they're great for nail art and for accents. I'll definitely be trying some of them out on stripes and other decorations in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment