Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dragon eggs

I may have mentioned that my friend is getting married in October. We threw a shower for her in May. She wanted a Game of Thrones shower and her mom wanted something more traditional. So we came up with a compromise. Food and decorations mostly end up slanting toward the traditional. With black and white damask tablecloths, plates, and napkins and purple, white, and red flowers and balloons; Everywhere. But, I was insistent that the centerpiece for the dining room table be something special. Thus, the plan to make dragon eggs was born. We spent months trying to figure out how exactly we were going to accomplish this. Around Easter, we bought all sorts of eggs to try and find a mold. We considered paper mâché, ceramics, modeling clay, painting things, all were either no starters or fails. Honestly, we thought of everything. Then, my friend Pam cracked it. She found something on the Internet wherein someone had made tinfoil bases covered in Fimo. Considering that I had wanted to go with Fimo all along, this was the perfect solution. Particularly when she came over and showed me how easy it was and how good it looked!! We actually got to work that night. I wanted them all to be a little different so we each got started with our own ideas.

I chose to put down a base layer over the tinfoil and then I cut scales and individually laid them on top of the base layer. Next time, I will probably smooth the scales down a bit after placement because the final product, while exactly what I wanted look-wise, was a bit on the fragile side. 


Pam used a tool to draw cross hatch lines and the another tool to pull up the corners creating a really great scaly effect. Pam'was definitely the most commented upon. Everyone wanted to know how she did it. 

Amy used a tool to create an all over pattern which left the egg smooth but with a great scaly look. It had a really nice feel and everyone wanted to touch it. Hers was definitely the most picked up and played with at the shower.

After we had baked the eggs (perched atop tinfoil covered ramekins to avoid resting spots) Pam went one step further and added a layer of bronze buff and rub to her egg and Amy's. The buff and rub was the perfect finishing touch, adding a little extra fantasy spin to the eggs.
The chest was a simple thing purchased from Michaels and stained the appropriate color by our friend Kristen.
The most asked question at the shower was, "When are they going to hatch?" Needless to say our geek bride was thrilled. I think they were her favorite part of the party. She was so careful when she wrapped them to ship them home and she kept calling them her babies. They are now sitting in a spot of honor in her home and I believe will figure into the geeky wedding somehow.

Now I just have to make a set for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment