Thursday, June 27, 2013

You know what? Working out kind of works.

I have anxiety. I've always had it. It comes and it goes and I have good days, weeks, months even, but then sometimes I have bad days, weeks, months even. It's been much better since I started working from home instead of an office. And it's better still when I work less than 50 hours a week. Well this week I hit the anxiety jackpot. I'm on prednizone, for an unexplained loss of hearing in one ear, and my body and my anxiety HATE prednizone. It's a horrible drug that I'm taking because I don't want to be deaf in one ear. But believe me, if the alternative had been something less devastating I would have thought twice about taking this crap for 3 weeks. 
Prednizone gives me hot flashes, horrible mood swings, heart palpitations, and it really heightens my anxiety. 
In addition to everything else, this week I've been working on some editing tests for a client. These things are complicated  and require a lot of concentration. So of course this is the week my anxiety has me all geared up. Today, I finally got through most of the edits. At 10:30pm I was totally freaking out, anxiety attack central. My husband suggested playing some video games. I wanted to go for a walk. We ended up going for a walk/run at 10:30pm. It helped! I can't believe it. I mean I should, I've been working out steadily for a year now. But this is the first time I've actually used exercise to relieve an anxiety attack. It was pretty amazing. I feel almost normal, and without having to take any drugs. There may be something to this whole exercise thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment